Individually or cooperatively (with 1-3 classmates) learn about or volunteer with a social justice, community-based effort in the greater Long Beach area. Convey learning in a Canva Infographic or 10 hours of volunteering for a social justice cause in the community.
The purpose of this assignment is to help you practice the following skills that are essential to your success in this course / in school / in this field / in professional life beyond school:
-Relevance of higher education to one’s social environment
-Intergroup Contact & Cooperation
This assignment may also help you to become familiar with the following important content knowledge in this discipline:
- Ethnic communities(a group of people with common cultural interests and historical background, located within a common region)
- Intergroup consequences(on continuum of intergroup relations ranging from genocide, intolerance/inhumanity, to pluralism, tolerance/respect for humanity)
- Cultural competence(an awareness of one’s own cultural identity and views about difference in addition to having the ability to learn and build on the varying cultural and community norms of students and their families)
Criteria for Success:
- CANVA infographic will be evaluated on the following:
-creativity -connection to one textbook chapter
-answering the above questions -visual imagery
-critical thinking -effort
- Completed volunteer hours certified by supervisor in the social justice community; certification will result in automatic 10 points.
- Please choose your topic for the project from one of the following choices (or email professor if you have another idea). Feel free to message other classmates if you would like to work together on a social justice organization or cause in the community.
- If you choose the volunteer option with a social justice cause, you can have those 10 volunteer hours stamped on your transcript. Click here to learn more about how to register for that process and become a Viking Volunteer.
- If you are completing the CANVA infographic for this assignment (click here to create the infographic), please answer the following questions within your infographic: